Extended review: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

>> Saturday, August 27, 2011

I am guessing you are starting to miss the extended review, no? Okay, so I was hoping that someone reads this blog (sad). Anyway, here's another one of my favourite phone: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini. Wow, am I siding with Sony Ericsson now? Well, if they keep on producing better phones, I may say that I am a fan. But for now, let's see if Mini is the new Biggie.

You got Punk'd by the display



Here's a surprise. Given the fact that it is a HVGA display (320 x 480), I cannot believe that the colours and picture quality look superb here. Seriously guys (and girls)! It emits really clear and crisp picture (not radioactive, don't worry or I'll be dead too). This is mainly thanks to the Reality Display by Bravia Engine. Great job fooling us. We really appreciate it and no sarcasm there.

Cheese's the word

With a 5-megapixel camera, you wouldn't really expect much but that's where they catch you off-guard (again)! Personally, the camera is great and is one of the main reasons why I want this smartphone. The colours after taking pictures looks awfully happy. What I meant to say was, the colours are really bright. That's not a problem though.



Also, the physical camera button is a nice feature, too, with the people from Sony Ericsson sticking to a nice, soft button. The camera button is sensitive enough to fire off shots without causing you to jerk the phone and miss the magic moment. Pressing it is like popping bubble wraps. It's that fulfilling!

Everyday I'm shuffling

Well, only if I don't embarrass myself. The reason I am "shuffling" is because of the music quality from this tiny phone. It is really good! The bass is right and it is literally music to my ears. Play the alert tone a million and one times and I will still call it great music. And I am not talking through earphones. The speakers are surprisingly good.



You only get one speaker and it is located at the center of the back part of Xperia Mini. With that said, you can actually feel some stereo going around with the speakers. Of course, to maximise that pleasure, just plug in your earphones or Bluetooth device.

So so software

Of course with SE, you are bound to get your own suite of apps. My favourite app/widget from them is always the Track ID. Heard a tune you'd love but can't figure who sang it? Well, just whip out your Xperia Mini and tap Track ID. Record for a moment and discover! Also, by placing its widget on the homescreen, you are guaranteed a faster accessibility.

Again, they provide you with Timescape. This time, they tweak it a little by adding three options when you put the widget on your homescreen. That doesn't really help a lot, or at all, as it is still a graphically demanding widget. Even on a 1Ghz phone like this. The only reason why you want to use is to "beautify" your phone. Think of it as a hair extension/fake lashes/lipstick/you-should-get-it-at-this-point.

The rest

Finally, another part that is not in Mobile World Magazine, is the video player. The Xperia Mini's recording is fairly good but too bad I can't say the same for the video player.

It was mentioned that the player is able to support mp4 and wmv formats. That's fine as it does, quite well too. But too bad you can see the phone struggling with wmv formats. If you put a large files or those with long playback, you'll notice the player struggling. Don't get me started on the avi formats. Nothing! Nothing at all! It won't play them.



Truthfully (and not sneakily), I can see this happening. Sony Ericsson and Google did not really touch the video player department and stuck with Android's default player. You can play. You can pause. You can skip. That's all.

Well, nothing much more to reveal as you can find it all in Mobile World Magazine.

Price: RM699

Words from author: Notice in two of the pictures, the Xperia Mini wallpaper is orange? Hey, it fits the blog!!! Argh, I know, I know. The blog's colour is so fugly. Anyway, please support our magazine. Yours truly writes there. *big eyes*

Calv out.

0 thought/s:

About This Blog

All about promoting taking pictures using your camera phone. Of course i am including my stories in this blog! There will be pictures, either taken by camera/camera phone or drawn by pen.

Thanks for visiting me

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP